Applied Physical Sciences Corp (APS) is looking for a skilled electronics technician to assist in the development of prototype electronic PCBs, wire cables and harnesses as well as wiring of electronic chassis. Successful candidates should have expertise in soldering of surface mount components and experience with assembly and test of PCBs as well as soldering connector pins and terminating cables. This position will involve close cooperation with our electrical engineering staff and requires basic knowledge of electronic principles, lab equipment (oscilloscopes, power supplies, voltage/resistance/capacitance measurement), electronic schematics, ESD practices and quality workmanship. The position will also involve coordination and maintenance of our electronics lab space, equipment, and measurement instruments. Candidates which interview for this position will be requested to take a short proficiency test that will include hand soldering of components and possibly a connector assembly.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• PCB soldering and assembly
• Wire harness assembly
• Chassis wiring and assembly
• Assists Electrical Engineers with breadboard assembly
• Responsible for organization and maintenance of electrical test equipment and instruments
• Responsible for organizing, maintaining and coordinating electronics lab
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• 0-5+ years or more electronic assembly experience
• Expert soldering skills of surface mount components down to sizes of MSOP ICs (0.5mm pitch) and 0402 passive components (capacitors/resistors). Soldering proficiency test will exercise these abilities.
• Experience with bringing up prototype boards
• Knowledge of basic electronic principles is required
• Reading schematics and board layout files, signal tracing, and implementation of non-fragile prototype modifications and signal break-out
• Experience using oscilloscope, handheld meters, power supplies, and other basic lab equipment
• Able to create, use and edit Microsoft Word and Excel documents.
• Good hand/eye coordination is necessary to perform the job safely
• Experience with complex wire harness/cabling considered a plus
• Must be capable of lifting 50 pounds
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Associates Degree or equivalent training (e.g. military)
• Minimum of 3 years of electronics assembly or technician experience
• IPC-A-610 or J-STD-001 certifications are a plus
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in the Pawcatuck, CT facility. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability