Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a motivated engineer or scientist with a recent Bachelor’s degree for a full-time position supporting research, development and engineering efforts in hydrodynamics, ship seakeeping, and associated mechanical systems. Candidates should have a background in one or more of the following areas: ocean engineering, naval architecture, hydrodynamics, applied mathematics, applied physics, or mechanical engineering.
This position will involve working with senior staff to perform computational modeling, simulation, testing, and analysis of hydrodynamic-related systems. The work will support concept design, development, testing, and analysis of prototype systems. This will involve multi-disciplinary projects, developing hydrodynamics-related system components and subsequent integration of these components into larger systems. Candidates must have a strong background in computer programming for simulation and analysis, preferably with Matlab, C/C++, and/or Fortran. Experience with experimental laboratory and/or field testing is a plus.
Tasking may include:
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced hydrodynamic systems
• Development of computational models to support system design analysis
• Support for prototype system development and testing, including hardware procurement and integration, and experimental design and execution
• Analysis of computational and experimental data
Required Attributes and Skills:
• MATLAB or similar programming capability
• Compiled code programming experience
• Strong background with fluid-mechanics and mechanical systems
• Excellent verbal and written communication in order to accurately document and report findings to colleagues, customer, vendors, etc.
• Ability to use basic hand tools, test and measurement equipment
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Experience using Computational Fluid Dynamics packages
• Comfortable performing basic tasks with a Linux-based operating system
• Experience with 3D modeling software (SolidWorks / Rhino)
• Knowledge of machining and shop best practices
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open in the following location:
• Groton, CT
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability