Applied Physical Sciences Corp (APS) is looking for several skilled CNC Operator Machinists to support prototype and product fabrication. Successful candidates will have solid experience with CNC programming and machining as well as traditional manual machining. The required skills include operation of machining equipment such as CNC vertical mills and/or lathes, traditional lathes, vertical milling machines and associated operations such as measuring, cutting, drilling and tapping. This position will require daily coordination and cooperation with the Lead Machinist as well as communication with our Prototyping & Fabrication Department Shop Foreman, mechanical engineering staff and other technicians. The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Understand and interpret ASME standard drawing/blueprints
• Plan for stock required, check current inventory, order stock as required, verify receipt of stock
• CNC programming, job set-up and machining
• Mechanical part fabrication from engineering drawings using traditional machining equipment
• Load feed mechanisms by lifting stock into position (hand, hydraulic, crane, etc…)
• Measurement of raw material dimensions and verification of finished product dimensions
• Measurement of completed parts and recording dimensions as required. Includes in-house and purchased parts.
• Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
• Maintain equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements
• Maintain continuity among shop personnel by documenting and communicating actions, issues, and continuing needs
• Document actions by completing fabrication or assembly documents and associated logs
• Assemble custom and/or commercial components per assembly drawings
• Rigging, lifting, moving, and stowing equipment using winches, forklift, jacks, and other equipment
• Unpacking, inspection, documentation, and storage of received materials
• Responsible for organization and maintenance of work area and assist in shop area maintenance
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
• 5 years or more CNC programming and machine operation
• Traditional machining equipment set-up and operation
• Fully capable of using measurement equipment such as micrometers, calipers, bore gages, ID micrometers, height gages, depth gages, etc.
• Ability to operate basic hand, electric, and pneumatic tools such as wrenches, drills, band saws, cutters, grinders, impact wrenches, etc.
• Ability to follow written procedures with step-by-step verification
• Good hand/eye coordination is necessary to perform the job safely
• Basic computer skills for email communication, printing of instructions, and scanning and emailing of completed job paperwork
• Must be capable of lifting 75 pounds
• Experience with SolidWorks CAD software would be considered a plus
• Experience with welding, lifting equipment, and multi-meters would be considered a plus
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, advancement opportunities, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in the Pawcatuck, CT facility. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability