Applied Physical Sciences Corp (APS) is looking for a skilled mechanical technician to support prototype and product fabrication. Successful candidates will have excellent mechanical skills including measuring, cutting, drilling, tapping, welding as well as operating hand tools, band saws, grinders, and other similar machinery. This position will require daily coordination and cooperation with our Prototyping & Fabrication Department Shop Foreman, mechanical and electrical engineering staff and other technicians. Candidates from the AUTOMOTIVE and MOTORCYCLE mechanic trades are encouraged to apply as the skills translate well to this position. The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Mechanical part fabrication from engineering drawings
• Measurement of raw material dimensions and verification of finished product dimensions
• Assembly of custom and/or commercial components per assembly drawings or engineering instructions
• Work in an orderly fashion by planning work, obtaining necessary tools and keeping immediate work area clean and organized to ensure parts and tools are readily available for use
• Rigging, lifting, moving, and stowing equipment using overhead cranes, straps/slings, winches, forklift, jacks, and other equipment
• Operation of mechanical test facilities such as pressure, tension, bending, compression with instruction provided
• Fabrication of custom wood shipping containers and painting of parts and/or assemblies
• Assist welding and fabrication operation with material preparation and finishing
• Document actions by completing fabrication or assembly documents and associated logs
• Unpacking, inspection, documentation, and storage of received materials
• Responsible for organization and maintenance of mechanical equipment and assist in shop area maintenance
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• 0-5+ years or more mechanical fabrication and assembly experience
• Ability to properly use measurement tools such as micrometers, calipers, gages and other suitable measurement equipment
• Operate basic hand, electric, and pneumatic tools such as drills, band saws, cutters, grinders, impact wrenches, torque wrenches etc.
• Ability to follow and complete written procedures with step-by-step verification, verified and signed off as complete
• Good hand/eye coordination is necessary to perform the job safely
• Basic computer skills for email communication, printing of instructions, and scanning and emailing of completed job paperwork
• Must be capable of lifting 75 pounds
• Experience with welding, lifting equipment, vertical milling machines, lathes and multi-meters viewed favorably
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in the Pawcatuck, CT facility. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability