Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a motivated engineer or scientist for a full-time position supporting several engineering projects and programs across our company. Successful candidates will have a BS, or MS degree in mechanical engineering, ocean engineering (or related field), or electrical engineering with a focus in any of the following: ocean engineering, naval architecture, hydrodynamics, applied mathematics, applied physics, marine electronics systems, marine CAD design, UUVs, oceanographic instrumentation. Professional experience of 5 to 10 years is desired; however, we will consider less experience for highly qualified candidates.
This position will be responsible for a variety of engineering tasks from design and development to assembly and testing of complex maritime systems. A solid working knowledge of fundamental engineering tools (mechanical CAD software, analysis tools such as MATLAB) is required.
Tasking may include:
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced prototype systems
• Fabrication, assembly and laboratory testing of systems
• Preparing for and executing pier-side and at-sea testing
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Strong mechanical aptitude with the ability to independently solve moderately complex problems
• General knowledge of mechanical hardware and common systems (gears, shafts, fasteners, etc.)
• Experience with 3D CAD Software
• Ability to read and create mechanical fabrication and ship drawings
• Ability to use basic hand tools, test and measurement equipment
• Knowledge of machining and shop best practices
• MATLAB programming capability
• Organized and detail oriented with experience in R&D
• Excellent verbal and written communication in order to accurately document and report findings to colleagues, customer, vendors, etc.
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Experience with SolidWorks
• Basic working knowledge of electrical systems and electrical enclosure design
• Experience and working knowledge of ASME Y14.5 (GD&T)
• Hands-on field-testing experience
• Experience working with shipboard electronics (radars, IMU’s, etc.)
• Knowledge of ocean and wave mechanics
• Experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis
• Comfortable performing basic tasks with a Linux-based operating system
• Knowledge of software programming languages (e.g. JAVA, C#, C++, Python)
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open in the following location:
• San Diego, CA
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability