Applied Physical Sciences is looking for a highly motivated Ocean Systems Engineer to join our Groton, CT team. Successful candidates will have a BS, or MS degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, ocean engineering (or related field) with a focus in any of the following: underwater acoustics, marine electronics systems, UUVs, oceanographic instrumentation. Professional experience of 5 to 10 years is desired; however, we will consider less experience for highly qualified candidates.
Successful applicants will support the production and operations of state-of-the-art underwater sensing and communication systems for autonomous underwater vehicles, undersea systems, and other marine applications. Knowledge of small-scale production, quality control, oceanographic mooring design and construction, acoustic communications, and underwater propagation modeling is a plus.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. APS provides a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and candidates will have a chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity
- Leading production and development of innovative sensing and communication systems for challenging subsea applications (70%)
- Preparing and executing at-sea experiments – will require travel (10%)
- Project leadership (20%)
Required Attributes and Skills:
• BS or MS in ocean engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or related field
• Excellent hands-on, technical skills – comfortable performing a mechanical assembly or with basic soldering, capable of producing instructions on technical tasks for others to follow
• Comfortable in a manufacturing environment, leading teams of technicians, designing and running small scale production lines
• Comfortable performing basic tasks with a Linux-based operating system
• Basic understanding of analog and digital circuit design, capable of reading a schematic
• Working knowledge of at least one programming language (MATLAB, Python, C/C++, Java, etc.)
• Exceptional communication skills (written and oral) to lead meetings and prepare written briefs for internal reviews
Desired Attributes and Skills Include Experience with several of the following:
• Experience at sea with UUVs or any type of oceanographic instrumentation
• Knowledge of oceanographic mooring design and construction
• Experience in the manufacture of hydrophone and transducer arrays
• Knowledge or experience with the design, testing and maintenance of battery systems
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in the Groton, CT office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability