Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a highly motivated Principal Scientist/Principal Engineer to contribute to the success of our Platform Signatures and Stealth Technology Department. Successful candidates will have a MS, or PhD and at least 15 years of professional experience in proposing, planning, and executing technology development programs. A background in Naval Architecture and platform signatures is desirable.
APS works on exciting, technically-challenging, research and development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address challenging national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts across the company as well as both lead and/or make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. Applicants will have an opportunity to participate in all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems.
· Support development, management, and execution of a number of ongoing and future programs pertaining principally to areas of platform stealth, spanning multiple technical domains.
· Contribute to the strategic development of the Platform Signatures Department and to the larger Platform Technologies Division.
· Lead preparation of multidisciplinary proposals related to developing platform stealth technology solutions
· Lead cross-functional teams to address complex system design challenges, while satisfying rigorous design requirements
· Provide oversight, development, and mentoring to junior staff in both execution and management of their tasks.
Required Attributes and Skills:
· An MS or PhD in Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, or Systems Engineering or equivalent technical discipline.
· At least 4 years’ experience in submarine and/or surface ship research and development programs.
· At least 15 years’ experience recruiting, leading, developing, and contributing to multidisciplinary teams to address complex research and development or science and technology programs.
· Experience successfully managing multiple multidisciplinary technical programs, with responsibilities including scheduling, budgeting, resource coordination, and accountability for deliverables.
· Experience contributing to and leading programs through various stages along the technology lifecycle, from science and technology to research, development and deployment.
· Experience developing technology-focused business strategy from customer need and customer opportunity through to planning, communication, and implementation.
· Experience supporting and partnering with senior technical staff to develop pragmatic technology solutions that meet customer/user needs.
· Demonstrated success in customer-facing activities, including business development and client-centered and user-centered discovery, research, design, and development.
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open with flexibility to work out of any of the following locations:
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability