Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a Senior Ocean Engineer for a full-time position supporting several engineering projects and programs across our company. Successful candidates will have a BS, or MS degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, ocean engineering (or related field) with a focus in any of the following: underwater acoustics, marine electronics systems, marine CAD design, UUVs, oceanographic instrumentation. Professional experience of 5 to 10 years is desired; however, we will consider less experience for highly qualified candidates.
This position will be responsible for a variety of engineering tasks from design and development to assembly and testing of complex maritime systems. A solid working knowledge of fundamental engineering tools (mechanical and electrical CAD software, analysis tools such as MATLAB) is required as well as standard office software skills (e.g. Microsoft Office). An ability to perform Computer Aided Design (CAD) modeling of components and systems, and a fundamental understanding of finite element modeling of structural components are expected.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to work closely with engineering teams and make meaningful contributions to important projects.
Tasking may include:
• Performing engineering work related to the conceptualization, design, evaluation, planning, testing and operation of prototype marine systems and ocean instruments
• Utilizing engineering skills to aid in the successful design of mechanical systems and components such as deployment and recovery infrastructure, electronic packaging, pressure vessels, actuators, latches, gears etc., as well as performing various types of analyses to reduce the risk of system failure. Analyses may include analytic calculations of performance parameters, dynamic and static FEA of system stresses, FEA modeling of thermal conditions, etc.
• Developing design models and detailed manufacturing drawings using SolidWorks computer aided design software
• Working closely with fabrication team (in our Pawcatuck, CT Facility) to plan, test, document, and modify components to ensure correct and complete assemblies are provided as required to support project deadlines. Managing small-scale production of prototype ocean systems and assist team with mechanical, electrical, and software integration.
• Reviewing, writing and creating technical documentation, processes and test plans as well as analyzing and documenting results.
• Design and fabrication of oceanographic moorings
• Support at-sea testing including deployment, operation, and recovery of maritime systems.
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Experience at-sea with UUVs, USVs, moorings, buoys, or any type of oceanographic instrumentation
• Knowledge of oceanographic mooring design and construction
• Knowledge or experience with the design, testing and maintenance of battery systems
• Experience with 3D CAD Software
• Fundamental knowledge of materials, strengths, and statics analysis
• General knowledge of mechanical hardware and common systems (gears, shafts, fasteners, etc.)Ability to read and create mechanical fabrication drawings
• Ability to use basic hand tools, test and measurement equipment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Experience with SolidWorks
• Experience with corrosion and corrosion control techniques
• Experience with common subsea connectors and the design of wet cable assemblies
• Experience in the manufacture of hydrophone and transducer arrays
• Experience integrating payloads into autonomous marine platforms (UUVs, USVs)
• Experience with mooring deployment and recovery operations at sea
• Knowledge of underwater acoustics – propagation physics, noise sources, modeling and simulation, SONAR equation, underwater transducers, and acoustic measurements
• Experience with microcontrollers (i.e., Arduino, Basic Stamp, Raspberry Pi)
• Knowledge of software programming languages (e.g. JAVA, C#, C++, Python)
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open in the following location:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability