Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a CAD Designer for full time employment supporting several projects and programs across our company. This position requires experience creating technical product drawings, sketches, and 3D models using computer-aided design software, such as SolidWorks. Successful applicants will be highly motivated with excellent attention to detail, teamwork abilities, good communication and organizational skills.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with Mechanical/Electrical engineers to create engineering drawings, models and associated lists. Various drawing levels to include developmental design drawings, multi-detail and detail drawings, product drawings and 3D models.
This position will be responsible for supporting the engineering staff and must possess technical and communication skills. A solid working knowledge of CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks) is required as well as standard office software skills (e.g. Microsoft Office).
Tasking may include:
• Creating, revising and updating technical drawings/documents
• Create 3D models from plans/drawings or sketches
• Providing/ performing configuration control processes for technical content
• Creation of associated lists / Bill of materials
• Analysis of tolerancing and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) controls
• Supporting the creation of technical data packages (TDP)
• Create documentation or manuals using technical information or 3d models
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Attention to detail, teamwork abilities, good communication and organization skills
• Minimum 2-year degree or relative experience in Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), Technical drawing, or CAD design
• Working knowledge of ASME Y14.5, Y14.41 and Y14.100
• Experience with 3D CAD Software (SolidWorks Preferred)
• Good knowledge and use of GD & T System
• General knowledge of mechanical hardware and common systems (gears, shafts, fasteners, bearings, etc.)
• Work well with others constructively and accept redirection and/or running changes
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• A SolidWorks Certification (CSWE)
• General knowledge of mechanical assembly processes and fabrication methods
• A successful candidate will exhibit a positive attitude and be goal oriented
• Ability to work independently
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate position is open with flexibility to work out of the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the form fields below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntarily Self-Identify a Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.