Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a motivated engineer or scientist for a full-time position focused on fluid mechanics simulation, experimentation, and analysis to support programs across our company. Successful candidates will have a BS or MS degree in mechanical engineering, ocean engineering, naval architecture, applied physics, or applied mathematics with a focus in fluid mechanics. We are specifically looking for a candidate with experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Professional experience of 5 years with BS, or 2-3 years with MS is desired.
This position will involve working with senior staff to perform computational modeling, simulation, testing, and analysis of hydrodynamic-related systems. The work will support concept design, development, testing, and analysis of prototype systems. This will involve multi-disciplinary projects, developing hydrodynamics-related system components and subsequent integration of these components into larger systems. Candidates must have a strong background in computer programming for simulation and analysis, preferably with Matlab, C/C++, and/or Fortran. Experience with experimental laboratory and/or field testing is a plus.
Tasking may include:
• Modeling and simulation support for design, analysis, and engineering of advanced hydrodynamic systems
• Use of commercial and/or open-source CFD and gridding packages
• Development of computational models to support system design analysis
• Support for prototype system development and testing, including hardware procurement and integration, and experimental design and execution
• Analysis of computational and experimental data
Required Attributes and Skills:
• MATLAB or similar programming capability
• Compiled code programming experience
• Strong background with fluid-mechanics and mechanical systems
• Experience with gridding and running CFD packages, and analyzing output data
• Excellent verbal and written communication in order to accurately document and report findings to colleagues, customer, vendors, etc.
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Comfortable performing tasks within a Linux-based operating system
• Experience with 3D modeling software (SolidWorks / Rhino)
• Experimental experience including data acquisition and/or system integration
• Ability to use basic hand tools, test and measurement equipment
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open in the following location:
• Arlington, VA or Groton, CT
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the form fields below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntarily Self-Identify a Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.