Applied Physical Sciences Corp (APS) is seeking an entry level Mechanical Engineer to join our Groton, CT team. Candidates must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering with at least 6 months of relevant internship experience. Successful candidates will work with a team to develop detailed designs and conduct analyses of components and systems. Applicants will be expected to perform design and hands-on work to support the fabrication, assembly and testing of these components and systems in the laboratory, in the field at Navy test facilities, and at sea. These state-of-the-art systems include pressure-proof mechanical housings, actuators, electrical connectors, sensors, shock isolated components, rotary mechanisms and other mechanical and electrical elements. An ability to perform Computer Aided Design (CAD) modeling of components and systems, and a fundamental understanding of finite element modeling of structural components are expected. APS works on exciting, challenging technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences.
At APS you will work in a small company-like environment where technical excellence and work ethic is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged. You will have the opportunity to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform engineering work related to the conceptualization, design, evaluation, planning, testing and operation of mechanical and electro-mechanical equipment and systems
- Utilize engineering skills to aid in the successful design of mechanical systems and components such as deployment and recovery infrastructure, electronic packaging, pressure vessels, actuators, latches, gears etc., as well as performing various types of analyses to reduce the risk of system failure. Analyses may include analytic calculations of performance parameters, dynamic and static FEA of system stresses, FEA modeling of thermal conditions, etc.
- Develop design models and detailed manufacturing drawings using SolidWorks computer aided design software
- Work closely with senior staff and manufacturing personnel to ensure designs are fully compliant, reviewed, and ready for fabrication.
- Perform hands on assembly, rework, test preparation, test conduct and simple prototyping
- Ability to use basic hand tools, test and measurement equipment.
- Work closely with fabrication team (in our Pawcatuck, CT Facility) to plan, test, document, and modify components to ensure correct and complete assemblies are provided as required to support project deadlines.
- Review, write and create technical documentation, processes and test plans as well as analyze and document results.
Education and Experience:
- B.S., Mechanical or Ocean Engineering
- At least 6 months of relevant experience as an engineering intern
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in our Groton, CT office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the form below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.