Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking an engineer with experience in control system design, analysis, and implementation for a full-time position in its Groton, CT location supporting several engineering projects and programs across the company. Successful applicants will be highly motivated, innovative, self-starters with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, will hold an MS or PhD in a related engineering discipline (Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.) and will have 1 or more years of relevant work experience.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts and make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. It will give applicants exposure to all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems.
This position will primarily be responsible for designing and implementing vehicle controllers for novel platforms in concert with a multi-disciplinary team of senior engineers in the design, analysis, and construction of both underwater and surface vehicles. A solid foundation in linear and nonlinear control theory as well as practical experience in the application of control theory to real world systems, including software development, hardware-in-the-loop testing, and system integration is required. A successful applicant will possess good technical, problem solving, and communication skills and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
Tasking may include:
• Support design of control architectures from the subsystem actuator level to system level vehicle motion and guidance.
• Support sub-system requirements development, tracking, and verification in support of system design.
• Perform software development, numerical model evaluations, hardware-in-the loop testing, and system integration of control architecture and algorithms.
• Work closely with fabrication team to plan, assemble, test, document, and modify components to ensure correct and complete assemblies are provided as required to support project deadlines.
• Support and perform subassembly and system testing as well as analyze and document results
• Perform engineering work related to the evaluation, planning, testing and operation of mechanical and electromechanical equipment and systems for maritime systems
Required Attributes and Skills:
• MS or PhD with 1+ year of industry experience in aerospace, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or applied math/physics, with a focus on controls
• Experience in the application of linear and non-linear control theory
• Experience in C++ and/or Python, including standard scientific computing libraries
• Fluency in Matlab for controls design, analysis, and simulation
• Interest in hardware integration, test, and documentation effort to evaluate and baseline system performance
• Familiarity using software version control like Git
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Familiarity with static/dynamic structural interaction
• Experience work with multi-disciplinary teams for detailed hardware design, analysis, and testing
• Experience with Machine Learning algorithm development and implementation
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability