Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is looking for a Senior Software or Computer Engineer to join our Concord, MA team. Applicants should have a BS or MS degree in a related field, 5+ years of professional experience, and a desire to work hands-on with electronics hardware. Successful applicants will work with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop communications, sensing, and autonomy software and firmware in support of national security applications. Our team supports R&D for a wide variety of maritime systems including sonar systems, novel autonomous surface vessels, delay tolerant networks, underwater sensing, tracking, and communication arrays, and payloads for unmanned underwater vehicles.
Candidates must have a proven track record of designing and implementing software in a Linux environment using Python and modern C++ (e.g. C++17). Experience with the Zynq System on Chip platform, or FPGAs/VHDL, is highly desired. A background in autonomous systems, embedded signal processing, AI and ML techniques, or underwater networking and navigation would be beneficial.
APS is a growing research and development company specializing in innovative technology solutions for emerging national security challenges. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity. Our laboratories and manufacturing facilities provide the flexibility to rapidly build and field prototypes to address immediate needs, as well as experiment with new innovations for the future.
Things you’ll get to work on:
- Autonomous control of Unmanned Surface Vessels
- Communication and networking protocols for challenging environments
- Acoustic, signal processing and autonomy algorithms for subsea sensor systems
- Acoustic payloads for subsea and surface autonomous systems
- Simulations, visualizations, and command and control interfaces
Required education and experience:
- BS or MS degree in computer science, engineering, or applied math/physics
- At least five years of professional experience
- Fluency in C++ and/or Python, including standard scientific computing libraries
- Experience developing for Linux platforms
- Experience using modern software engineering tools (version control, CI, etc.)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Defense Secret Security Clearance
- A passion for maritime systems
- Experience with the Zynq SoC platform, FPGAs and VHDL
- Experience implementing and deploying algorithms for GPUs and TPUs
- Familiarity with autonomy standards, including MOOS-IvP, ROS, and/or UMAA
- Fluency with MATLAB
- Familiarity with IP/TCP/UDP networking and RS232/RS422 communications
- Interest in new and evolving programming languages (Rust, Go)
- Embedded and/or real-time programming experience
- Background in networking, controls, or communications theory
- Signal processing or numerical modeling experience
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate full-time position is open in our Concord, MA office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application online at www.aphysci.com, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
To apply for a job with Applied Physical Sciences, applicants need to fill-out the online form linked below.
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability