Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is looking for a Signal Processing Scientist to join our Groton, CT team. Successful candidates will have experience with underwater acoustics physics and modeling, detection and estimation theory, stochastics, and SONAR, RADAR, or Digital Communications signal processing algorithms. This role will require working with a variety of multi-disciplinary teams developing complex state-of-the-art systems in support of emerging national security challenges. Responsibilities include developing, testing, and deploying real-time signal processing code, detailed post-processing of complex data sets and including diagnostics, forensics, and investigation of observed phenomena, and the design and development of applications and tools for system planning and acoustic performance modeling. Additional responsibilities may include technical and/or project leadership for technical design, integration, and test efforts in a customer facing role, as well as opportunities to support hands-on at-sea testing of developed technologies.
APS is a growing research and development company specializing in creating novel technological solutions based on fundamental physics and science, where ideas are rapidly taken from first principals to fieldable prototypes and matured through rigorous testing and evaluation. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity. Our laboratories and manufacturing facilities provide the flexibility to rapidly build and field prototypes to address immediate needs, as well as experiment with new concepts for future systems.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong foundation in the following core areas of digital signal processing: detection and estimation theory, constrained optimization, conventional and adaptive beamforming, Kalman filters
• Proficiency in MATLAB, some experience with Python, C/C++ would be advantageous
• Understanding of undersea acoustic physics, signal propagation, and noise phenomena
• Experience with acoustic modeling tools, like CASS/GRAB, Bellhop, SST
• Systems integration and performance testing in a laboratory environment, as well as at sea
Required Education and Experience:
• Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Electrical Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or Applied Physics, with 5+ years of related engineering experience
• Preferred: M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or Applied Physics, with 2+ years of related engineering experience
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in the Groton, CT office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability