Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a Structural Analysis Engineer Intern for a part-time internship supporting several engineering projects and programs across our company. Successful applicants will be highly motivated, innovative, self-starters with strong mechanical, technical, and problem-solving skills, and will be enrolled in a certified degree program working towards a BS/MS/PhD in Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related degree.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts and make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. It will give applicants exposure to all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems.
This position will be responsible for supporting senior engineers with a variety of engineering tasks from design, development, qualification and testing of military structure and advanced research and development prototypes. A solid working knowledge of the strength of material and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software is required as well as standard office software skills (e.g. Microsoft Office). A successful applicant will possess good technical, problem solving, and communication skills, and they will be mentored by a professional engineer.
Tasking may include:
• Assist in the development and analysis of various metallic of advanced composite material structures.
• Assist in the design and development of advanced concepts for increased survivability of military structures.
• Parameterization of linear and non-linear material models.
• Analysis of small-scale structures using the FEA method.
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Course work in finite element analysis techniques and method.
• Fundamental knowledge of materials, strength of material, statics and dynamic analysis.
• Knowledge of engineering calculation tools (Mathcad, MATLAB, etc.)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Experience in one or more of the following analysis codes: ABAQUS, NASTRAN, LS-DYNA, ANSYS or CTH.
• Advanced and composite material design and analysis
• Fundamental knowledge of non-linear material responses including plasticity and viscoelasticity
• Experience with shock physics, survivability, underwater explosions and weapon effects
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate part-time intern position is open with flexibility to work out of any of the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT
• Arlington VA
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability