Applied Physical Sciences is looking for a highly motivated Principal Scientist to join our Groton (CT), Concord (MA), or Arlington (VA) teams. Successful candidates will have a PhD degree in electrical, ocean, or mechanical engineering, acoustics or related field with a focus in maritime systems development . Professional experience of 7+ years in DoD or related industry is preferred, but not required for highly qualified candidates. Successful applicants will support the development of state-of-the-art sonar and communication systems for autonomous underwater vehicles, undersea systems, and other marine applications. Knowledge of acoustic communications, underwater sensors and transducers, array processing, underwater acoustic propagation modeling, detection and estimation, embedded systems, and data acquisition a plus. Experience in the following related fields is also highly desired: RF communications, robotics, sonar systems, and signal processing.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
• Design and development of innovative maritime systems (50%)
• Project leadership (25%)
• Proposal writing, marketing, and new business captures (25%)
Required Attributes and Skills:
• PhD in electrical/ocean/mechanical engineering, acoustics, or related field
• Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following: digital communications, maritime hardware design and prototyping, robotics, and acoustic signal processing
• Experience with marine hardware or system design (sensor arrays, data acquisition, low power embedded processors, batteries, power amplifiers, transducers, subsea cables and connectors)
• Experience writing proposals and leading new business captures
• Working knowledge of digital and analog circuits
• Exceptional communication skills (written and oral) to lead meetings and prepare written briefs for internal reviews and with customers
• Experience fielding systems, running prototype demonstrations, post processing data to determine system performance, and creating presentation materials to debrief customer
• Expert Matlab programming skills
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Several years’ experience developing and/or designing sonar and/or communications systems
• Experience as principal investigator working on R&D programs for DARPA, ONR, NAVSEA, or other similar DoD customers
• Experience designing electronic/software systems for maritime systems (buoys, UxVs, moorings, submarines)
• Experience with C/C++ and Linux programming skills
• Prior experience with underwater propagation models and/or simulation of wireless communication channels to be used for system performance characterization
• Prior experience with acoustic modems (design or use-of)
• Experience designing/implementing algorithms for adaptive equalization
• Prior experience in design and development of underwater acoustic sensors
• Prior experience creating technical content for new products, ideas, or other business development pursuits
• Experience presenting at technical conferences
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions.
An immediate full-time position is open at the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT (preferred location)
• Concord MA
• Arlington VA
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the form fields below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.