Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is looking for a highly motivated senior-level computer engineer to join our Sensing and Communications Department. Successful candidates will have a BS, MS, or PhD degree in electrical and/or computer engineering with a focus in embedded systems development. Professional experience beyond 7 years is desired, but may not be required in all circumstances. Successful applicants will support the design and development of a wide variety of underwater maritime systems including payloads for unmanned underwater vehicles, underwater sensing, tracking, and communication arrays, acoustic communication transceivers, wireless power transfer, transducer systems, power electronics, and electromechanical systems.
Candidates must have a proven track record of designing and implementing state machines and algorithms on prototype R&D embedded systems. Applicants should be familiar with workflows and development on FPGAs, System-on-Chips/System-on-Modules, Digital Signal Processors, as well as Microcontrollers, and should be experienced at writing VHDL as well as C/C++ programming and compilation in a Linux environment. Additionally, experience with userspace driver development, ADCs & DAC interfacing, digital communications bus protocols (RS232/RS422/RS485, I2C, I2S, SPI, McBSP, CAN), high speed signaling (LVDS, LVPECL), and SoC cross-domain interconnect (e.g., AXI), is required. Previous experience with hands-on integration and testing of embedded systems into larger platforms is highly desired, including familiarity with and use of typical electronic laboratory test equipment.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
- Design and development of complex data handling infrastructure on embedded systems and implementation of signal processing algorithms on these platforms (50%)
- Laboratory testing and integration with larger electronic systems, and field testing of these systems(30%)
- Project leadership (20%)
Required Attributes and Skills:
- 4 or more years of experience with FPGA development, VHDL programming, and associated workflows
- 4 or more years of experience with C programming for Microcontroller and/or Digital Signal Processor development and testing
- 4 or more years of experience with C++ programming and compilation in a Linux environment
- Basic understanding of signal processing and Matlab data analysis
- BS in electrical engineering and/or computer engineering
- Able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Defense Secret Security Clearance
Desired Attributes and Skills:
- Experience in design and development of systems for use with underwater acoustic sensors
- Experience with System-on-Chip/System-on-Module and their associated workflows
- Experience creating technical content for new products, ideas, or other business development pursuits
- Experience with userspace driver development in Linux
- Experience working with ADCs/DACs and associated clocking and digital interfacing
- Experience working with digital communication schemes (RS232/422/485, I2C, I2S, SPI, McBSP,CAN)
- Experience working with high speed digital signaling (LVDS, LVPECL)
- Experience with the Xilinx IDE, Vivado, Advanced eXtensible Interface (AXI) protocol, and custom IP Core development
- Experience working in an electronics laboratory environment, familiarity with common measurement devices (oscilloscopes, multimeters, logic analyzers, power supplies, etc.), and experience troubleshooting embedded systems
- Experience working in an R&D environment and working in small multidisciplinary teams
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. This position is open in the Groton, CT office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DOD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application online below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
To apply for a job with Applied Physical Sciences, applicants need to fill-out the online form below.
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.