Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is looking for a highly motivated senior-level electronics engineer to join our Sensing and Communications Department. Successful candidates will have a BS, MS, or PhD degree in electrical and/or computer engineering with a focus in analog and digital circuit. Professional experience beyond 7 years is desired, but may not be required in all circumstances. Successful applicants will support the design and development of a wide variety of underwater maritime systems including payloads for unmanned underwater vehicles, underwater sensing, tracking, and communication arrays, acoustic communication transceivers, wireless power transfer, high power acoustic transmit arrays, and electromechanical actuators.
Candidates must have a proven track record of designing and implementing custom PCBs for prototype R&D systems. Additionally, experience designing mixed signal PCBs with ADCs & DACs, microcontrollers, DC/DC converters, digital communications protocols (RS232/RS422, I2C, I2S, SPI, McBSP), high speed signaling, preamplifiers, power amplifiers, and interfacing to embedded microprocessors is required. Previous experience laying out boards and/or managing vendors which provide layout services is highly desired, as is experience designing for EMC and testing and integrating PCBs into larger systems.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
- Design and development of complex analog and digital PCBs (70%)
- Project leadership (30%)
Required Attributes and Skills:
- 4 or more years’ experience designing custom PCBs from conception to implementation
- Experience with common digital communication schemes (RS232/RS422, I2C, I2S, SPI, McBSP)
- Troubleshooting PCBs
- Previous experience with or oversight of electronic layout, bill-of-materials, and assembly process
- Proven experience designing with analog sensors, ADCs, and embedded processors
- Proven experience designing with DACs, active and passive filters, as well as line drivers
- Low noise electronics design
- Experience working with acoustic transducers
- Basic understanding of signal processing and Matlab data analysis
- BS in electrical engineering and/or computer engineering (with hardware focus)
- Able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
Desired Attributes and Skills:
- Prior experience in design and development of systems for use with underwater acoustic sensors
- Prior experience designing electronics for underwater maritime systems
- Prior experience creating technical content for new products, ideas, or other business development pursuits
- Experience working in an R&D environment and working in small multidisciplinary teams
- Experience mentoring junior EE staff on electronics design, PCB implementation, and board troubleshooting
- Programming VHDL/Verilog for FPGAs preferred but not a requirement
- Experience with C/C++ coding for microcontrollers (or similar)
- Experience using National Instruments (or similar) data acquisition systems and LabView
- Experience with control systems a plus
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. An immediate position is open in our Groton, CT office. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the form below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
To apply for a job with Applied Physical Sciences, applicants need to fill-out the online form below.
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Please Answer All Questions.
Résumés Are Not A Substitute For A Completed Application.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to veteran status, uniformed service member status, gender, marital status, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
THIS COMPANY IS AN AT-WILL EMPLOYER AS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE STATE LAW. THIS MEANS THAT REGARDLESS OF ANY PROVISION IN THIS APPLICATION, IF HIRED, THE COMPANY OR I MAY TERMINATE THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION, THE EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK NOR IN ANY OF THE COMPANY'S POLICIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.