Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a Firmware Engineering for a full-time position supporting several engineering projects and programs across our company. Successful applicants will be highly motivated, innovative, self-starters with strong electrical, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and will have earned a BS/MS/PhD in Electrical Engineering or a closely related degree.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts and make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. It will give applicants exposure to all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems.
This position will be responsible for supporting senior engineers with a variety of engineering tasks from design and development to assembly and testing of complex electromechanical and autonomous sensor systems. A solid foundation in working with microcontrollers, digital signal processors, FPGAs, and/or system-on-chip (SOCs) is required, along with associated experience in programming of these devices (e.g., C/C++/VHDL). A basic understanding of electronic laboratory testing equipment is also required. A successful applicant will possess good technical, problem solving, and communication skills, and they will be mentored by a professional engineer.
Tasking may include:
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced prototype electronic systems
• Assembly and testing of electronic systems
• Running experiments, collecting and post-processing data, and presenting results
• Designing and implementing algorithms on embedded platforms
• Travel for at-sea experiments and test events
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Experience with C/C++, assembly, VHDL or Verilog programming
• Experience developing on Microcontrollers, DSPs, FPGAs, System-on-Chips (SoCs), System-on-Modules (SoMs), and/or GPUs.
• Fundamental knowledge of signal processing and algorithm implementation
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Familiarity with Xilinx SoCs and the Xilinx Vivado Design Suite
• Experience programming low-level device drivers and bash scripts in Linux environment
• Experience with FFTs, digital up/down conversion, decimation/interpolation, FIR/IIR filters, encoding/decoding, and modulation/demodulation schemes
• Foundation in filtering, matched filtering, and beamforming
• Hands-on testing and debugging of electronics in a laboratory environment
• Experienced MATLAB user for analysis, post-processing, and data plotting
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open with flexibility to work out of any of the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT
• Concord MA
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability