Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer for a full-time position supporting several engineering projects and programs across our company. Successful applicants will be highly motivated, innovative, self-starters with strong mechanical, technical, and problem-solving skills, and will have earned a BS/MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related degree.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts and make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. It will give applicants exposure to all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems.
This position will be responsible for supporting senior engineers with a variety of engineering tasks from design and development to assembly and testing of complex electromechanical systems. A solid working knowledge of CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks) is required as well as standard office software skills (e.g. Microsoft Office). A basic understanding of shop tools is desirable. A successful applicant will possess good technical, problem solving, and communication skills, and they will be mentored by a professional engineer.
Tasking may include:
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced prototype systems
• Fabrication, assembly and laboratory testing of systems
• Travel opportunities to help test equipment in the field
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Experience with 3D CAD Software
• Fundamental knowledge of materials, strengths, and statics analysis
• Utilization of mechanical engineering principals to design mechanical elements
• Ability to perform preliminary FEA on mechanical designs
• General knowledge of mechanical hardware and common systems (gears, shafts, fasteners, etc.)
• Ability to read and create mechanical fabrication drawings
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Knowledge of engineering calculation tools (Mathcad, MATLAB, etc.)
• Basic understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing practices
• Experience with 3D printing technologies and software
• Experience with microcontrollers (i.e., Arduino, Basic Stamp, Raspberry Pi)
• Knowledge of software programming languages (e.g. JAVA, C#, C++, Python)
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
An immediate full-time position is open with flexibility to work out of any of the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT
• Concord MA
• Arlington VA
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability