Applied Physical Sciences (APS) is looking for a highly motivated senior-level Ocean Systems Engineer. Successful candidates will have a BS, MS, or PhD degree in Ocean Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related fields. Professional experience beyond 7 years is desired, but may not be required in all circumstances. Successful applicants will support the design and development of a wide variety of maritime systems including underwater sensing systems, shipboard sensing and actuation systems, and complex electromechanical devices.
Candidates must have a proven track record of design, integration, and testing of complex prototype systems. Applicants should be familiar with electrical and mechanical CAD software, fabrication and assembly processes, embedded system and software development, and system-level integration best practices and processes. Additionally, experience with Linux operating systems, electronic test equipment, and power electronics are beneficial. Successful candidates will be success oriented and will have the ability to work in small, fast paced engineering R&D programs as a team or individual contributor, potentially with minimal technical supervision.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
Tasking will include:
• Supporting System Engineering and Program Management in the design, fabrication and execution of advanced ocean systems
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced prototype systems through analyses, trade studies, etc.
• Design, fabrication, assembly of components & systems including identification of recommended tests, documentation, execution and reporting results
• Willing to travel to help test and deploy equipment in the field, acoustic testing and data analysis
• Contributing technical content for new proposals, products, ideas, or other business development pursuits.
• Work well as an individual contributor to a team with team-members at remote locations
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Understanding of system documentation and design tools (Magic Blocks, Cameo Systems Modeler, Ansys, Relyence reliability tools, MS Visio, MS Project)
• Experience with Hardware and Software development (specification, fabrication, wiring, integration, testing, deployment)
• Experience with engineering analysis tools (Mathcad, MATLAB, etc.)
• Experience with mechanical and/or electrical design tools (Altium, Solidworks, etc.)
• Experience with software programming languages (e.g. JAVA, C#, C++, Python)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Demonstrated Leadership on small to medium technical programs/projects.
• Understanding of acoustic propagation and scattering for underwater and structural applications
• Experience with microcontrollers (i.e., Arduino, Basic Stamp, Raspberry Pi)
• Experience with 3D printing technologies and software
• Ability to read and create mechanical and/or electrical fabrication drawings
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers a small company environment including competitive salary, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. This position is open in any of the following locations:
• Bedford, NH
• Concord, MA
• Groton, CT / Pawcatuck, CT
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DOD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability