Applied Physical Sciences is looking for a highly motivated Principal Scientist to join our Groton (CT), Concord (MA), or Arlington (VA) teams. Successful candidates will have a PhD in mechanical engineering, hydrodynamics, acoustics or related fields, with a focus in maritime systems research and development, test and evaluation. Professional experience of 10+ years in DoD or related industry is preferred, but not required for highly qualified candidates. Successful applicants will support the development of state-of-the-art technologies for maritime/undersea vehicles, including: design, analysis, and prototyping of undersea vehicles; novel propulsion, maneuvering, and control; research in the use of advanced materials in undersea applications; development of advanced test methodologies and capabilities; and development of associated mechanical/electro-mechanical components and systems. Experience with sonar systems and signal processing is also highly desired, but not required.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, cutting-edge technologies that will expose candidates to a wide variety of multidisciplinary fields and allow for unique growth opportunities and learning experiences. At APS you will work in a small company environment where technical excellence is rewarded and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged, and you will have the chance to work directly with colleagues and customers that value innovation and creativity.
• Design and development of innovative maritime systems (50%)
• Project leadership (25%)
• Proposal writing, marketing, and new business captures (25%)
Required Attributes and Skills:
• PhD in hydrodynamics/mechanical engineering, acoustics, or related field
• Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following: hydrodynamics and CFD, controls theory and application, mechanical design of components/systems, experiment design and execution
• Extensive experience with computational methods and programming for both compiled applications (C++ and/or Fortran) and Matlab
• Experience fielding systems, running prototype demonstrations, post-processing data to determine system performance, and creating presentation materials to debrief customer
• Experience writing proposals and leading new business captures
• Exceptional communication skills (written and oral) to lead meetings and prepare written briefs for internal reviews and with customers
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Experience as principal investigator working on R&D programs for DARPA, ONR, NAVSEA, or other similar DoD customers
• Demonstrated technical leadership in modeling and simulation of advanced submarine systems capabilities
• Experience in development of undersea robotic systems
• Demonstrated team leadership and technical execution of submarine systems development efforts/programs.
• Experience presenting at technical conferences
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions. Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
An immediate full-time position is open in the following locations:
• Groton, CT (preferred location)
• Concord, MA
• Arlington, VA
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability