Applied Physical Sciences Corp (APS) is seeking a Staff Mechanical Design Engineer. This position will be responsible for supporting senior engineers and project leaders with a variety of engineering tasks from design and development to assembly and testing of complex electromechanical systems. A solid working knowledge of CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks) is required as well as standard office software skills (e.g. Microsoft Office). A basic understanding of shop tools is desired. Successful candidates will possess a BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field, and will have good technical, problem solving, and communication skills.
APS works on exciting, technically challenging, research & development programs where multidisciplinary teams work closely to address difficult national security needs. This position will allow applicants to collaborate with subject matter experts and make meaningful contributions to project teams and their objectives. It will give applicants exposure to all parts of the R&D process, from first-principle analysis through to prototyping and testing of integrated systems. Candidates will be mentored by a senior engineer.
Tasking may include:
• Design, analysis, and engineering of advanced prototype systems
• Fabrication, assembly and laboratory testing of systems at our Pawcatuck, CT Facility
• Travel opportunities to support field testing of prototype systems
Required Attributes and Skills:
• Experience with 3D CAD Software
• Fundamental knowledge of materials, strengths, and statics analysis
• Experience using mechanical engineering principals to design mechanical elements
• Ability to perform FEA on mechanical designs ensuring feasibility and identifying areas of concern
• Experience utilizing mechanical hardware and common mechanical system components (i.e. gears, shafts, fasteners, etc.)
• Ability to read and create mechanical fabrication drawings
• Proficient at working independently as well as in an integrated team that spans multiple locations.
• Good communication and planning skills that support schedule driven, multi-task management and the ability to create and present work status for discussion and review
• Proficient with Microsoft Office suite
Desired Attributes and Skills:
• Knowledge and/or experience designing or working with subsea systems and components
• Knowledge of engineering calculation tools (Mathcad, MATLAB, etc.)
• Basic understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing practices
• Experience with 3D printing technologies and software
• Experience with microcontrollers (i.e., Arduino, Basic Stamp, Raspberry Pi)
• Knowledge of software programming languages (e.g. JAVA, C#, C++, Python)
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering or a closely related field.
• Applicants with a bachelor’s degree should have at least 2 years of relevant professional experience.
• Applicants with a master’s degree can be recent graduates with limited professional experience.
APS, a wholly owned subsidiary of the General Dynamics Corporation, offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and comfortable working conditions.
An immediate full-time position is open at the following locations:
• Groton CT / Pawcatuck CT – preferred
• Other locations could be considered for strong candidates
Candidates must possess or be able to obtain a DoD security clearance.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and application using the links below, fax them to 860-448-3075, Attn: Janet, or mail to the company address. Please reference the requisition number and title of the position in the subject line of your submission.
Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Disability/Protected Vet
Job Application Form
Invitation to Self-Identify
In keeping with our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Applied Physical Sciences invites all applicants to self-identify pre-offer as a protected veteran and/or an individual with a disability.
Invitation to Self-Identify as Protected Veteran
Invitation to Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability